Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 4, 2011

Well, yesterday was unremarkable. Breakfast was the usual, lunch was leftovers. Steve had the last two enchiladas with a fried egg on top, it looked good. I made do with noodles. The boys also had noodles. I think their favorite eats yesterday were the pretzels and milk they had after nap! Dinner was another quick go-to dish, peppers, onions, and sausage over rice. I had a bunch of leftover smoked sausage in the fridge, and I'm trying to use up things that will go bad when I go out of town this weekend. So here is how you do it:
Rice, it seems simple, but simple things are often the most overlooked. This is how I do plain white rice. In a medium saucepan heat a Tbs butter or oil, then add 1 c rice. Stir the rice to coat the grains in the fat, this keeps the rice from being sticky and clumpy. Let the grains cook until they begin to take on a golden color, and you can smell them. This gives it a nice flavor. Then add in 1 ½ - 1 ¾ c water or stock. I usually use water and the larger amount of liquid, but you need it up here on the mountain. Stir, and bring to a boil. Cover, and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Then turn the burner off and let it sit for 15 minutes. I don't know if this would work on a gas stove, but on an electric it's fail-proof. I often double it and use leftovers for fried rice.
I topped this with that classic combination of peppers, onions, and sausage. In a large skillet heat a Tbs or so of olive oil over medium high heat. Slice 2 red bell peppers, 1 sweet onion, and 3 smoked sausages, and add those to the pan. I usually use andouille, but whatever you have will likely work. Saute until the veggies are crisp-tender and browning, stir often so nothing burns. Serve on top of rice.
Sometimes I take out one of the sausages and add in shrimp (add them in the last minute or two so they don't overcook).
Reactions were good, Steve had worked late so we both were starving. The sweetness of the peppers and onions goes well with the spicy sausage. I've served this over polenta and it doesn't work as well, so I stick with rice. We also had a green salad, and both boys are all of their salad, and a little bit of rice. I can't complain if the only thing they finish are the green vegetables. Steve and I polished off their plates. The meal also held well, it was about done when Steve called and said he would be a half hour late. I just turned off the frying pan and then reheated it when we were ready and it was perfect. Flexible food is a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment