Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 1, 2011

Las Cenas
The idea here is to try to journal a years worth of dinners. I think it might be interesting to see what we eat in a big frame like that. I also want to write down the things that I just come up with that turn out well. To that end I will do my best to record recipes as exactly as I can. It should be noted that I rarely measure anything. I'm curious to see what the kids like, and what they don't, how their tastes evolve and change. And in my humble opinion I think that a years worth of recipes is way cooler than some scrapbook or photo album. So here we go, New Year's Day 2011!

January 1, 2011
New Year's Brunch, made by Steve!
French toast (french bread from the Village Baker) with maple syrup (NH, of course) and powdered sugar.
Bacon- baked in a 400 degree oven, until cooked.
Bloody Marys
Late for the Train Coffee

Dinner
Carbonnade with egg noodles, and a green salad.
For the main event:
Cut 2 lbs flank steak and 1 lb ribeye into 1inch pieces, removing most of the fat and connective tissue. Season liberally w/ kosher salt and pepper.
Used leftover bacon grease, and seared in dutch oven, in batches, on high.
Set meat aside and add a little more grease and 2lbs thinly sliced onions, season w/ salt and pepper. Cook over med-low until onions are soft and lightly brown.
Add in 2 minced garlic cloves, stir, cook until fragrant.
Add in 3Tbs flour, stir.
Add in 1 ½ c chicken stock, stir to scrape up bits on bottom.
Slowly add in 1 ½ c Guinness.
Add in 1 Tbs dark brown sugar, 1 Tbs cider, ¾ tsp dried thyme. Bring to a simmer.
Cover and put in 300 degree oven for 1 ¾ hrs.

Reactions: Everyone loved the very good, very filling, very eggy french toast. And it was wonderful to not have to cook it. Evert said it was as good as pancakes, high praise. We all took long naps after brunch, a lovely time all around.
The kids barely touched the Carbonnade, Lucas ate a little bit and Ev almost nothing. They probably weren't hungry. They ate a little bit of buttered egg noodles and salad.
Steve and I really enjoyed the Carbonnade. It had excellent texture and consistency, a bit thinner than my usual stews, but really nice. It worked well over noodles, and could probably stand on its own. I bet it would reach new heights of ecstasy over mashed potatoes. The flavors were slightly sweet and meaty, it was a very comforting meal. We decided that we like it quite as much as our usual beef stew, and that the world has room for all sorts of beef stew recipes. It came out so well I am quite resolved to make beef burgandy for my birthday later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment