Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 10, 2011

Today was bitterly cold. Well maybe not bitterly, but at least really freaking cold. So I made soup. Tortilla soup with black beans, it is a recipe I use all the time and really easy. In a large pan heat 1 Tbs oil, add 4 cloves minced garlic and a hefty (or not) amount of chili powder. Stir, then add 2 cans diced tomatoes with their juice, 2 cans rinsed and drained black beans, a can of chicken stock, a small package of frozen corn kernels, and a cup of water. Bring it to a simmer and let it cook for twenty minutes or so. Then when you're ready to serve it crush up a handful of tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup on top, squeeze a lime wedge into the bowl and you're good. I have a bunch of leftover turkey from the deep fried one we did over the weekend, so I diced and added that to it tonight which worked well. I added a cup and a half or so of turkey diced into pieces about the size of the black beans and corn kernels. I served it with a green salad and Pillsbury biscuits. All in all, it took about a half hour to make and probably cost less than ten dollars. I keep saying that the boys will not starve in college nor live off ramen since I will teach them treasures like this soup.
Reactions were good, Steve was feeling turkey deprived since he missed this weekend and it was an otherwise turkey-free holiday season. He appreciated the addition. The boys like the crushing of the chips and ate the soup, as well as the salad and biscuits. Lucas ate all of it, Evert picked around and ate the corn and black beans. He never eats tomatoes, oh well, more for the rest of us. The big hit of the day were the tamales Steve and I had for lunch, so so so good.
I also made a list today of food to cook for the freezer since it looks like this will be a long semester on Steve and the boys, in fact I start classes Wednesday and will be gone until at least 10 pm every day after that, until Sunday. So here is my tentative list of healthy, yummy, freezer stocking foods:
1.More tamales!
2.Stuffed Manicotti
3.Enchiladas, 1 dish of cheese with salsa verde and 1 dish turkey or chicken with red sauce
4.Lentil soup
5.Beef, noodle, and cheese casserole
6.Tortilla pie
7.Bean and cheese burritos
8.Red beans and rice (you have to freeze them separately)
9.If I'm really ambitious I'll put a lasagna in there as well.
10.I need a bigger freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment